Reflective Statement

Over this project I have learned a lot of things, some positive and some that I need to work harder at in future. I was quite doubtful about the idea of using Maya, being new to it and having to create complex buildings all on my own without tutorials or frequent assistance. Saying this, I did pick up on a lot of things which have caused my confidence in Maya to raise massively. My buildings took a lot of time and unfortunately I only managed to model two, I really wish I could have modeled every building in the scene without them being part of the matte painting. Even more so, I wish I could have modeled some of the ground on a plane too, as it very may well could have excelled the 3D feel to my set. Having not discovering my final composition as quick as I'd have hoped, and my digital painting taking much longer than expected, by the time I had modeled and textured my buildings I knew I wouldn't have had enough time left to model anything else. I put in a lot of hours into both the design and concept part, as well as the modelling part. I feel like if I had come up with my ideas earlier on and stuck with them, I'd not have struggled with time so much towards the end. I feel that my poor time management in this project was more so down to struggling with ideas and being able to properly move onto the next stage, as opposed to laziness or not applying myself enough. Although I am partially disappointed with the fact my final scene didn't reach its full potential, I am pleased with how the modeled buildings and their textures turned out. I feel my rendered version reflects the concept painting strongly, and I don't just think this because of the matte painting behind it. I feel like my modeled structures look very similar to the ones in the painting, and I am happy with how the final renders looked. I am unsure whether my slower idea development was down to a strong block in my creativity for part of the project, or if my collaborator was a difficult one to produce an obvious and easy concept for straight away. Regardless of the reason, I know that next time I have to get my head in gear in the idea stage to prevent me falling behind. Overall, this project has shown me some harsh reality checks, but also educated me and strengthened my knowledge a lot more in Maya. I found this project difficult to enjoy a lot of the time, but I think this was just due to me not being fully satisfied with my architecture and compositions for my final shot. If I was to do this project again, I would take a completely different approach in order to produce a more organized project and result that I am more happy with.

Comments