Premise - Reflective Statement

I didn't know what to expect in the Premise project, but I found it much more challenging than I thought I would. I came into the project with a group of starting ideas that I had thought of previously, which gave me some confidence that I might have a solid idea earlier on in the project and could dive right in. However, once leaning towards a certain idea, there was a lot that needed to be adjusted and figured out, in terms of what kind of story it was going to be, what the tone would be, and how things would take place. I started to become more excited as the weeks passed, as I felt my idea coming together. 

I felt like I was postponing the designs while trying to figure out the story and script, as that was my first priority. Because of this, I felt that I began the design stage much later than I had hoped, which created more pressure for it later on in the project. I made a lot of adjustments to the script, trying to figure out the minor details and importance of each scene, but overall I was happy when I had finished, as I now understood everything I needed to do, which included making the animatic to share the visualization with the audience, and also the designs for the sets and characters. In the end I felt that I had finally figured out the design aspects for the project, so with that I am pleased, however if I had figured things out earlier then I feel I would have been able to produce more final designs for props and more concept art. I invested a lot of my energy trying to figure out my character's design, which put me back quite a lot and put some of my other tasks on hold. Looking back, I am glad I kept making changes to the designs, because I find my final ones more appealing than some of the ones I thought could be "it" earlier on in the project. 

I do wish I had worried less about the character design so that I was having breaks from it and completing other tasks for this project. I made a mistake by investing too much energy into certain parts at times, when I should have divided it up more carefully. I had done all of my research for the Magazine Article, and had completed over half of it, but because I prioritized my time with the character design and animatic, it didn't get completed in time for the deadline, so in future I now know that no matter how much I'm struggling on certain challenges within a project, I still need to stick to my original work plan, and know when to switch from one task to another. 

Overall, I felt the Crit went a lot more positively than I had expected, and I'm glad that I managed to finish my animatic and get past the obstacle of character design. I feel excited for the future, to take this project even further on and create it all, and I am happy with how much of the story I figured out leading up to this point. I am mostly pleased, but if I could go back and redo things, I would force myself to divide my tasks up more fairly, and not let individual obstacles prevent me from doing the other parts.  

Comments